Monday, October 27, 2008

Bike Kill would've been fun but...

...since I'd been sick all week something told me that being in the middle of that nightmare during a rain storm might not be the best thing for my sinuses. Instead I decided it would be in my best interest to repair my broken down car. Basically what happened is that one of the water pump pulley bolts had popped out. Before I had the chance to replace it, another one had made it's way out. Once that happened it started vibrating really badly. Throwing the acc belt off course and shredding the shit out of it. All went well until I got down to the problem and realized that not only had the water pump pulley bolts popped out somehow, but the pulley itself had broken:


It also appears that one of those bolts found its way between the belt and the crank pulley leaving a big gouge in it. Which means, I now have to replace both of them. Total bummer right? This then leads me into the point I'm trying to make here: Cars can be a complete pain in the fucking ass but they def don't suck. With the exception of the soccer moms, 'ballers' or WORSE driving fucking Cadillac Escalades around or anything that has the Hummer logo on it. I mean, I'm all for the whole utilitarian pedal power no car thing. I think it's great that people who live in dense urban settings have one more sticker to adore their bike with but let's be honest.. They don't really suck. As per usual, it's the retards operating them that suck. I won't even get into the fucking car companies and advertisers that have ZERO goddamn morals when it comes to selling completely inefficient products to people who can't afford them...

People are fallible, it's just a fact of life. Mostly because people have a really hard time thinking beyond their own little world. Put them behind the wheel of a 2 ton automobile too large to see clearly around, make them late for something and you've got a recipe for disaster. Just to reiterate. We're all guilty of the same sort of thing now and then but despite that fact, it doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to better ourselves one way or another. Besides, if something were to happen to someone close to you (perish the thought) and you needed to get to the hospital or wherever super fast. Something tells me you're not going to turn down a ride from a car owning friend. It's like yeah, I'm going to hop on my bike or take public transportation and hope I get there in time. Nevermind all the poor bastards living in the average small town where the ONLY way to get anywhere is by car. No.. I think sporting a cars suck sticker is on par with the brakes suck or gears suck type stickers. It's just dumb and only helps perpetuate the larger problem: Driver awareness AND acceptance when it comes to sharing the road...

Side note about those brakes and or gears sucks stickers: Don't be rediculous. We're ALL cyclists for fucks sake. Sporting one of those stickers only tells everyone you're a trendy asstard. Who not only doesn't know what the fuck their talking about, but is being disrespectful and holding their own opinion higher than other people. Others who are just out there also doing what they enjoy. In other words: PISS OFF or peel that shit off STAT

Anyways, I think its important for drivers to recognize that they're not the only ones out there and if driving is all they're gonna do, make it a point to drive more fuel efficient, hybrid, electric, bio fuel vehicles (and stop wasting so many fucking plastic bags at the supermarket! You're driving a car- just buy some canvas shopping bags and toss em in the back seat for fucks sake). I personally make it a point to ride to work (22 miles) or at least to the bus stop (3 miles) to augment my fuel consumption (28/35) during the week. This of course only applies to days when it's not raining. Sorry.. Just don't have any desire to do that to myself..

So please, when I show up to places/events or if you see me driving my car.. Stop giving me the goddamn stink eye already. Crossing the Hudson isn't quite the same as the east river or living in 'da hood'. At least I'm making a fucking effort which is more than I can say about the other 95% of the lazy douchetards out there. Not to mention having the ability to haul/rescue shitloads of bike parts from people...


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

((lyledriver)) said...

Wow Alan, you can definitely feel the love in that post/rant. Its like, you are so incredibly pissed off with your car that you have to just step back and look at it from the outside again.

I admit, i love my car. I love it too much to sell. Its got my blood on almost every part.. I hate knowing that mice are nesting in the engine bay, but I loved not needing it to get around my city.

Of course, with spending that amount of time on something, if it does something ever so minor to piss me off, it REALLY pissed me off... and thats where bikes triumph. The simplicity. If my bike does something to piss me off, i know i can replace that part that evening, and all is well.

The fun per dollar ratio is exponentially higher with the bicycle. If more people knew that, then they'd use their cars less.